Thursday, January 18, 2007

ice storm, Pan's Labrynth

I ventured off to work for about 4 hours in the middle of the day yesterday before it started icing up again. I grabbed some more food to stock my kitchen a bit better and stopped by Design Within Reach to order some cubit shelving -- the size is perfect for LP's and I can reconfigure the shelving as my needs change. I have to figure out my carpeting situation - I need some area rugs. I also saw Pan's Labrynth last light at Drafthouse S. Lamar with some friends -- we could not take being cooped up any more. I thought it was probably Guillermo Del Toro's best movie yet. It was definitely a fairy tale, but more in the Grimm's fairy tale model. It was extremely beautiful in many scenes, but graphically disturbing in others. I could not bear to watch the Captain stitch up his slashed mouth. The only thing I did not like about it was how it tried too hard to drop clues about what would happen later in the movie -- how many times did we have to see the knife wrapped up in the dress?

No comments: